hanson to judge "seacoast idol"
blondelicious
2004-04-02 22:19:35 UTC
HANSON IDOL

Hanson to judge 'Idol' on Seacoast

By Jason Schreiber and Melanie Asmar
***@seacoastonline.com

EXETER - "American Idol" has become one of the hottest shows on TV, but the
Ioka Theatre is sure to be the hottest venue in town tonight when hundreds are
expected to turn out for the "Seacoast Idol 2" finale.

Event organizers estimate as many as to 1,500 people could cram the sidewalks
outside Exeter’s historic theater on Water Street hoping to snag one of the
425 seats inside.

But the 10 finalists who will try to sing their way to stardom in the local
competition aren’t the only draw this year. Hanson, the teen heartthrobs who
had young fans everywhere grooving to their hit song "MMMBop!" in the late
1990s, will join the panel of judges for tonight’s competition. The blonde
three-boy band will also perform a song off their new album, "Underneath"
before the show.

"We’re going to have a huge crowd in town," Ioka owner Karey Libby said.

Because of the large crowd anticipated at the show, two security guards have
been hired to keep things under control inside the theater, while two police
officers will be stationed outside. "Safety is our No. 1 concern," Libby said.

The crowd is a concern for Exeter Fire Chief Brian Comeau as well.

"Anytime we get an event like this it’s good for Exeter, but we’re always
concerned about the possibility of overcrowding and maintaining exits in a safe
manner," Comeau said Thursday.

Admission to the show is free, and Libby said the seats will be filled on a
first-come, first-served basis. There are 325 seats available the the public
since 100 have already been assigned to friends and family of the contestants,
Libby said.

Once all of the seats are filled, Libby said those waiting for a seat will be
turned away.

Event organizers had planned to open the doors at 6:30 p.m. for the 7 p.m.
show, but given the large crowd, Libby said the doors will open at 6 p.m.
Patrons will be able to begin buying items from the theater’s concession
beginning at 4 p.m.

When the Ioka hosted the "Seacoast Idol" finals last year, some 250 people were
unable to get a seat. With the Hanson brothers serving as celebrity judges this
year, the crowd is expected to be even larger. Libby said she expects between
600 and 1,500 people to show up.

The scheduled appearance by the Hanson brothers – Isaac, Taylor and Zac –
is having a "huge impact," Libby said.

"I’ve gotten tons of calls from kids. They’re excited. It’s a big
celebrity to come to our little town," she said.

Mike O’Donnell, a disc jockey for WERZ, 107.1 FM., who is in charge of the
event, said he has heard that some teenagers will be "camping out early" at the
Ioka to be sure they get a seat.

"I’ve gotten calls from as far away as Rhode Island from people who want to
see Hanson," O’Donnell said.

As of Thursday morning, Comeau said he had not been contacted about the show by
event organizers. However, he said he planned to have fire officials speak with
Ioka management about the show to make sure there are no safety issues.

"This is one of those types of events that may warrant someone counting how
many people are in the building, and we need to make sure the fire alarms are
up and running," Comeau said. "There’s a lot of work that would go on from
our side that would have to be done prior to such an event."

Comeau described the Ioka as a safe building with a "great" fire alarm system.

"It has enough exits to meets its occupancy load, but it’s still a large
crowd and you don’t know how people will react and move (in an emergency),"
Comeau said.

The contest had a problem with large crowds at the semifinals, which were held
at Meadowbrook Lounge in Portsmouth on March 9. Many contestants were
disappointed when their friends and relatives were denied entry because the
building was at capacity, O’Donnell said.

"The semifinals were absolutely insane," he said. "Three hundred people showed
up, when we could only seat 150."

Joining Hanson at the judges’ table will be Jon Hichborn, owner of Records on
the Wall in Exeter; Rachel Lang, last year’s Seacoast Idol winner; and Rick
Cooper, president of the independent label Rick Cooper Music in Chicago.
WERZ’s 2 Guyz & a Girl morning crew, Kid Cruise, Suzanne Lewis and Kevin
Matthews, will be stepping down as judges.

The winner of "Seacoast Idol 2" will receive free tickets to a final episode of
American Idol in Los Angeles, as well as studio time in New York and a lunch
date with record officials from Epic Records.

The 10 finalists who will be competing for the trips are Shah Salmi, Curtis
Gray, CJ Cram, Tatum Harvey, Travis Tulo, Lisa Sansouci, Selicia Thomas, Derek
Thompkins, Melissa LeClair and Amanda McGrew.

According to O’Donnell, each contestant will sing one song, accompanied by
music. The judges will then narrow down the field to three contestants, and
those finalists will sing one more song for the judges.

-jillian*
Joey
2004-04-02 22:51:16 UTC
could you imagine if one of the contestants is a hanson fan? i'd be scared out
of my wits cause hanson was there watching me perform and if they criticized me
i'd have all of these bottled up criticisms from over the years come out lol

\m/ Joey
HANSON=4.20 coincidence?
http://livejournal.com/~meep_
setting fire to this life
2004-04-02 23:47:21 UTC
is that *tonight*?

when *is* american idol on? lol

erin
------
and i've got no illusions about you
guess what? i never did.
when i said "i'll take it'
i meant as is.
http://sincelastjuly.livejournal.com
blondelicious
2004-04-02 23:53:32 UTC
Post by setting fire to this life
is that *tonight*?
yeah, in new hampshire.
Post by setting fire to this life
when *is* american idol on? lol
american idol is on tuesdays and wednesdays.

-jillian*
l***@gmail.com
This was commented like 12 years ago but I'm being a creep and googling Seacoast Idol from the year I sang.. and. that person you speak of.. was me. I was the ONLY Hanson fan in the group of contestants and we picked numbers and I had to go first. Right after they performed. I have never beed more scared of anything in my life. BUT Taylor told me I was great and not to stop singing so I obviously ran back to my dorm and applied to Berklee College of Music. hahaha I studied there for 3 years and then went off to be in a band and now I'm living in LA and singing all the time. Scariest moment of my life.. but also the best. You'll probably never see this... :)
SuComp
2004-04-03 04:26:43 UTC
Post by blondelicious
HANSON IDOL
oh my god sounds like pandemonium. I would to be an eyewitness to this madness
but of course there is no way IN HELL you would catch me waiting over night for
a place for anything. So have fun people!
SUE B.
"You either get it or you don't." -- Taylor Hanson

"That's the direction I'm going in: fat rolls and wrinkles." -- MADONNA

"Whateva! Whateva! I do what I want!" - Cartman
blondelicious
2004-04-03 19:04:39 UTC
here are pictures:
http://www.werz.com/jacor-common/globalphotos.html?eventID=24212&eventsect
ion=&pagecontent=

i'll post about our own little adventure last night when i'm home. it's worth
talking about.

-jillian*
Koo Jay
2004-04-03 19:37:52 UTC
<<i'll post about our own little adventure last night when i'm home. it's
worth
talking about.>>

Please do!!! I love hearing about adventures.

Perhaps I'll update my LJ with my own adventures last night. Haha. They are
not Hanson related...
--
*Koo Jay

"If you dream of me
Like I dream of you
In a place that's warm and dark
In a place where I can
feel
the
beating
of
your
heart..."

Tracy Chapman
-jillian*
Nia
2004-04-03 21:22:39 UTC
Zac is beautiful.
--
Q: "Ring Dings or Ho-Hos?"
Meloni: "i loves the Hos."
Meloni: "I loves the street."
LLamaesque
2004-04-03 22:59:28 UTC
http://www.werz.com/jacor-common/cc_photopop20.html?eventID=24212&pagecont
ent=&pagenum=9

I was standing right next to the Hanson-girlfriend-combo-platter girl with the
red and tan umbrella :)

I wonder if they didn't acknowledge this event online at the request of the
radio station--they were obviously expecting more hysteria than there really
was. A lot of people didn't get in, but it was a nice calm crowd. (With the
exception of these *incredibly* annoying girls who wailed "I love you!" every
time a Hanson spoke.)

Hanson did Penny & Me and Strong Enough to Break, and were nice, earnest little
judges, each of them providing comments for one or two of the contestants.
Taylor especially took his position of power seriously and really tried to give
constructive criticism. Ike wasn't much involved with the whole thing, and was
definitely unhappy with the lack of organization at the event. At the end of
the show, the radio station people announced that Hanson were going to be
giving autographs in the lobby, which turned into a total free-for-all. Hanson
stood behind the fifteen-foot bar and were instantly surrounded by girls
shoving things in their faces to be autographed, and after two or three minutes
Ike tried to get girls organized in a line. Of course, they wouldn't have any
of it--at which point Ike got this nasty look on his face and started packing
up. The radio station people didn't do one thing to help organize the girls,
and it was surprising Hanson stayed as long as they did.

After the show, we went down to the venue's bar and got a table. Where, while
flailing around to get out of my coat, I socked a random person squarely on the
chest. And guess what? Random person was Isaac Hanson =X I apologized before I
realized this, but he breezed right by without acknowledging my existence.
(Which, it seems, is the defining characteristic of my relationship with
Hanson.) He ordered a whiskey at the bar and hung around for a bit before he,
Taylor, and Zac were herded out the bar entrance.

The best Hanson line of the evening: "It's not about the outfit, it's about the
voice."--Taylor, to a contestant in white capris and lime heels

The second best Hasnon line of the evening: "You've got a unique stage
presense."--Zac to a *flamingly* gay contestant after he did a note-for-note
cover of I'm the Only One by Melissa Etheridge

Most goose-bumpy wonderful moment of the evening: Standing at the bar, Ike
suavely took of his tie and folded it neatly before ordering. It was like he
stepped out of Ocean's 11--the oldschool version, even.

Amanda
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"oh baby
i want to be your direct object
you know, that is to say
i want to be on the other
side of all the verbs i know
you know how to use"
Lee
2004-04-03 23:30:56 UTC
Post by LLamaesque
After the show, we went down to the venue's bar and got a table. Where, while
flailing around to get out of my coat, I socked a random person squarely on the
chest. And guess what? Random person was Isaac Hanson =X
LMAO
--Leah
"Buy it, Break it, Burn it - who cares? Just fucking get it!" -Chad<3
before you
i was only what i let control me...
you are a revolution
against my own conclusion.
Katie

you know how to use"
SuComp
2004-04-05 01:01:06 UTC
Post by LLamaesque
Most goose-bumpy wonderful moment of the evening: Standing at the bar, Ike
suavely took of his tie and folded it neatly before ordering. It was like he
stepped out of Ocean's 11--the oldschool version, even.
sounds kinda cool! How is it that they were unattended at the bar and free to
be harrassed at will?

LLamaesque
2004-04-05 01:09:55 UTC
Post by SuComp
sounds kinda cool! How is it that they were unattended at the bar and free to
be harrassed at will?
There were probably all of 15 people in the bar at the time--and 13 of them
didn't even know who Hanson were. The two of us who did stayed quiet and
watched the whole thing play out.

Until more fans turn 21, I'm sure bars will continue to be safe places for the
boys ;)

Amanda
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"On page 73, Temperance's name changes to Marge for three whole paragraphs!"
Lee
against my own conclusion.
blondelicious
2004-04-06 12:38:51 UTC
Post by Lee
Post by blondelicious
i'll post about our own little adventure last night when i'm home. it's
worth
Post by blondelicious
talking about.
did i miss this?
no, i didn't post anything.

-jillian*
Lee
against my own conclusion.
blondelicious
2004-04-06 13:04:40 UTC
Post by Lee
Post by blondelicious
no, i didn't post anything.
ok then.
i'll put it in my LJ eventually, maybe. i'm just not motivated to write about
it now haha

-jillian*
All Natural Pam
2004-04-06 21:10:01 UTC
Post by blondelicious
i'll put it in my LJ eventually, maybe. i'm just not motivated to write about
it now haha
aww you're such a tease jillian!
pam
http://secretok.livejournal.com
----
Mmmbop: Buy the Album and I'll lick it for you
Koo Jay
2004-04-06 22:58:51 UTC
Post by blondelicious
it now haha
aww you're such a tease jillian!>>

Seriously. Stop pulling a Jenna, Jillian!

blondelicious
2004-04-06 23:42:29 UTC
Post by blondelicious
it now haha
aww you're such a tease jillian!>>
Seriously. Stop pulling a Jenna, Jillian!
leave me alone! i'm a busy girl! i just had to go record PSAs for radio, now i
have to research, write a paper on kohlberg's moral reasoning and one on watson
and skinner, AND watch uconn women kick serious tennessee ass tonight. ;D

but of course i still make time for afh. hehehe.

my story isnt earth-shattering or anything, its just hysterically funny and its
much easier told in person because then i can act things out. but i'll do my
best for you guys when i write it.

-jillian*